home
18th Century Penance
1799 Land Tax
 contact

18th Century Life

A document kept at Cornwall Record Office, Truro, which illustrates a penance given by the Archdeaconry Court, held publicly in St Minver Church on 24 May 1770.

 

The Land Tax was created in 1692 and was voted annually by Parliament until 1798 when it became a perpetual charge, which could be redeemed by the payment of a lump sum. The 1799 Land Tax return contains the names of landowners and occupiers who were liable to pay the tax for that year.  It is sorted alphabetically by the occupier.  The names of the fields and tenements are also given.  This does not happen again until the 1841 Tithe Map.

 

Return to the top

Page created August 2009