Histories main
 Directories main

Kelly's Directory 1939

Description of St Minver, Cornwall

P238 to 240


St Minver is a village and parish, extending on the west, northwest and north to the Bristol Channel.  4½ miles north-west from Wadebridge station on the southern railway, 4½ north-west from St Kew Highway station on the same railway, 3 north-east from Padstow (by ferry) and 10 north-west from Bodmin; it is in the North division of the county, hundred of Trigg, petty-sessional division and rural district of Wadebridge, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Bodmin and diocese of Truro.  Electricity is available.  Water is supplied by the North Cornwall Water Board.  The church of St Menefrida is a building of stone in the Transitional Norman and Early English styles, consisting o chancel, nave with arcades of four arches on the north and five on the south, narrow north aisle, with eastern chapel, south aisle,. South aisle south porch and a western tower with spire raising to a height of 115 feet and containing 6 bells, dating from 1727 to 1875, which were rehung in August 1922 in : in the chancel is a piscine and modern screen separate it from the south aisle : the rood loft staircase exists, but is now imperfect : in the south aisle is a priests’ doorway : the font, octagonal in form in Perpendicular : part of the ancient chancel screen is now in position across the belfry opening : the communion rails with gates, probably of Queen Anne period, are ancient but have been re-erected : there is an elaborate monument with kneeling effigy in marble, erected by Thomas Darell esq. to John Roe, of Trewornan, ob 6 March 1657, and others to Thomas Darell esq. lb. 3 Jan 1697: Thomas Hamet, ob Dec 1614 : in the north chapel are portions of an altar tomb of slate consisting of the front and two ends; the front exhibits,  in low relief, kneeling effigies of a man and woman, with shields of arms of Stone and Harris; the ends bear other shields with the same arms, quartering Whitelinge; there is also a brass with the effigy of a man in civilian costume to Robert Opy, ob. 13 Jan 1517, and Elisabeth (Carminow), his wife; a scroll with legend proceeds from the mouth of the figure, and round the margin of the brass is a Latin inscription: in the south aisle is a memorial with arms to John Silly of Trevelver, in the parish, ob 11 April 1672, erected by Jane (Cotton), his widow: there is another to John Smith of Measmere ob 17 Dec 1662, and a monument to Ref W Sandys MA vicar, d 11 Nov 1816 and Mary (Praed) his wife : the east window is a memorial to Mrs Ann Sandys and her daughter Lucy d (both March 12 1867, and there are others to William Sandys. Esq d 1846 and Mary Ann Sandys, his sister d 1849, to Mrs Potter of Wadebridge, erected by her son, Samuel S Potter and the Rev Septimus Rolleston, for twenty years vicar of this parish : a beautifully carved oak reredos in memory of the Rev and Mrs W Hart Smith, was erected by the Rev T N H Smith-Pearse MA, their eldest son and other members of the family : the church plate includes a silver gilt chalice and cover, with the hall marks of 1618-19 , a flagon of 1764, a plate presented in 1791 by William Sandys, a brazen alms dish of German make and a sliver gilt chalice presented in 1904: the seats are of carved oak of the Tudor period : the church was restored and the tower and spire rebuilt in 1873-4: the organ was erected in the year 1896 : there are 300 sittings.  The churchyard was enlarged on the north side in 1840, and again in 1907, when a lych gate was erected; a small cross, formerly on the farm of Treglines, and about 3 feet high, was removed and set up here in 12879: there is also a Celtic cross of granite, in memory of the men connected with the parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914 – 1918.  The register of the baptisms and burials dates from the year 1558; marriages, 1559 : the list of burials includes the names of persons interred on the Quaker burial ground near Treglines form 1695 to 1742.  The living is a vicarage, net yearly income £400, including 45 acres of glebe, with house, in the gift of the Truro Diocesan Board o f Patronage and held since 1930 by the Rev. Hugh Peregrine Griffiths MA of St John’s College, Cambridge.  There are two ancient chapels of ease in this parish, both near the estuary of the Camel, and opposite Padstow – St Enodoc and St Michael Porthilly, each about 2¼ miles from the parish church, the former, sounded with drifts of sand, which sometimes have been known to rise as high as the roof, is an edifice of stone, in the Transition Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, name, south aisle of three bays, extending along the whole of the chancel and incorporating the former south transept, north transept south porch and a tower of two stages at the north end of the north transept, with octagonal broach spire and containing one bell, recovered from the wreck of the ‘Immacolata’ of Barletta, a seaport in South Italy, which was lost on the rocks at Greenway September 27 1875 : the lower portion of the Perpendicular chancel screen remains, and has been restored and redecorated in colour and gold; and on the south side of the chancel is a piscine, and on the north an aumbry, now a credence; a circular bowl of Catacluse stone found in the tower, and probably a stoup, is used as an alms box : there is aNorman font, and one window is stained : the ancient silver chalice with cover, belonging to this chapel, and dating from the 16th century, formerly in the possession of Mr John Mably, former of Trebetherick, was in 1905 restored to the church: the ancient chest has also been discovered and restored : the structure of the church, at one time unroofed and dismantled, was effectively restored in 1863 : in the churchyard, which contains tombs and memorials to the Mably and other families , including one of debased character with two effigies rudely executed, to John Mably, bur 124 July 1687 and Alice his wife bur 30 July in the same year, is an ancient granite cross, about 5 feet high, with a circular head, which was restored at the cost of Francis J Hext esq of Tredethy: the drifting sands are now becoming permanently fixed by the rapid growth of the arundo arenaria or sand rush.  St Michaels chapel is a building in the Transition Norman and Perpendicular styles, situated on the margin of a small creak of Padstow Harbour, near the village of Rock and consists of chancel, with south aisle and north vestry, nave, south transept, south porch, now forming the base of a small gabled tower, containing one bell: there are two decorated piscinae, one in the chancel and the other in the transept, and a font of sandstone of the Transition Norman date: the east window, erected by the parish of St Minver in 18956, is a memorial to Ann and Lucy Sandys and on the south gable of the tower is a cross commemorating the same persons : there is a monument to William Rounsevall gent 1659 and Jane, his wife, 1679; opposite the porch is the round head of an ancient granite cross on a dwarf shaft: the church was well restored in 1865-7: the church plate includes a chalice with paten cover bearing the date 1711, and the word ‘Perdille’ (Porthilly), and a paten of 1740 and flagon of 1792: in 1934 communion rails were given by Major L G Campbell and family in memory of his wife and son : the burial ground was enlarged about 1878, and protected by a sea wall: it contains memorials to the Kent, Mably, Proffit and other families.  There are Methodist chapels near Rock, built in 1904, and at Tredissick, erected in 1815, enlarged in 1835 and entirely rebuilt in 18874, seating 250: at Polzeath is a Methodist Church, effected in 1911, seating 80; there was formerly near Treglines a Friends meeting house with a burial ground attached: the latter, partially enclosed by a wall but the chapel has disappeared.  The Charity left by Mrs Sarah Darell in 1760 amounts to £8 6s yearly and is distributed to poor persons not in receipt of parochial relief.  The charity left by John Randall, who died 23 July 1733, provides £1 to poor widows and orphans and 10s to the vicar for a burial sermon to be preached by him in St Minver church on St John the Evangelist’s day for 1, 000 years.  In that part of St Minver called ‘The Lowlands’ is Jesus’ well, a rectangular structure with a truncated gable roof and an arched entrance; at the back of the well is a niche, in which a crucifix may have been placed.  The fine spring which formerly rose here has how been intercepted, and the chapel which stood near the well and was extant in the early part of the last century, as now disappeared; it was surrounded by a burial ground, the remains found in which have been removed to the churchyard.  At the village of Rock is a ferry across the Camel to Padstow, for foot passengers only, and which from the earliest records has belonged to the manor of Penmayne; it is now let on a yearly lease, at a rent of £1.  Rosearrow, now a farm house, was anciently the residence of a family of that name, and in the early part of the 16 century of the Penkevils; it afterwards belonged to the Carews; portions of the old house, including a great fireplace and chimney and the oaken ceiling of the hall, remain.  Cant, also a farm house gave its name in the reign of Edward I to the family of de Cant, or Kant, and was subsequently held by the Cheynduit and Carminow families, and others; in 1819, being then held by Humphry Prideaux esq it was described as a manor; it is now the property of Thomas Henry Cleave esq.  Porthilly comprises the two estates of Porthilly, Eglos and Porthilly Greys and contains remains of ancient buildings; Trevelver, a place mentioned as early as 1302 is now a farm, and the property of J F Wills esq.  portions of the old house, with some mullioned windows, still exist, and in one of the rooms, which is panelled, is a painting of the original mansion, and round the cornice of the apartment, a kind of panoramic representation of the neighbourhood.   The St Enodoc golf links are in this parish.  The Institute, built in 1894 by the Rev Prebendary Edward Ashford Sanford MA has a library and an attached recreation ground.  Trewornan, an ancient residence, erected in the 16th century, is the property and residence of Mrs Hext: St Minver House is the residence of Ernest George Branscome Holmes esq.  HM the King is lord of the Manor of Penmayne.  The land is mainly owned by the farmers.  The soil is sandy: subsoil rock.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots.  The parish is divided into Highlands, containing the mother church and Lowlands, containing the two chapels.  The area of St Minver Highlands is 5,323 acres of land, 2 of water, 17 in tidal water, and 754 of foreshore: the population in 1931 was 724 and of lowlands2,288 acres of land, 95 of tidal water and 754 of foreshore; the population in 1931 was 705.  The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 1,429.

The list of residents living in St Minver in 1939 can be found here

Return to the top

Page created August 2006