The Ferry of Blacktor alias Black-Rock alias Rock
Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Manor,
Volume 3, Sir John Maclean (1879)
pages 50 to 51
The ferry across Padstow Harbour has, from time immemorial, been parcel of the manor of Penmayne. It derives its name from a hill whose black head, consisting of greenstone protrudes through the sand on the St Minver side of the water, and has given the name of Rock, or Black Rock to the little village adjoining. In 1337, the passage, or ferry, was held in convention, in common by the tenants of the manor at the annual rent of 13s. At the assession in 1469, John Bussell and John Rawlyn, freemen, took the passage of the lord there, called Blaktor, which John Corvesor and his fellows took at the previous assession, at the annul rent of 8s, and contracted that the passage boat should be well and sufficiently kept in repair, and that if the boat afterwards chanced to be broken, they would new build the said boat. In 1574 Henry Moile took the passage at the rent of 12s and in 1588 a moiety was held by Henry Moile, son of John Moile, son of Henry Moile and the other moiety by William Bilkey on the surrender of Cormack Dier at the same rent. In 1617 it was taken by Henry Moile and Thomas Bilkye in moieties. In 1735, Charles Guy, Clerk, in his own right, held one moiety and Humphry Arthur, upon the surrender of Brightwell James, after the death of Jane Hodge widow, her aunt, held the other moiety, at the rent of 12s and 12d, new rent upon the same conditions as before stated. At the following assession Mary Parkyn widow, held a moiety by the surrender of Charles Guy, and the same parties held the other moieties as before; and at the next assession, it was taken by Joseph Peters, by surrender of Ann Arthur, by surrender of Mary Parkyn, widow for one moiety, and Joseph Peters, by surrender of Humphry Arthur, for the other moiety. In 1756, both moieties were held by Elizabeth Peters, after the death of Joseph Peters her husband. In the arrangement of 1844..... the ferry was reserved to the Lord of the Manor and is now let on yearly tenancy at the annual rent of £12, and it pays rates and taxes to the parish of St Minver.
Padstow to Rock Ferry out for the winter (Dec 2007)
Ferry across the Camel
The ferry from Padstow to St Minver has lately been much improved by the proprietor who has erected, on a rock in the middle of those exposed sands, a house and a stable for the accommodation of passengers and their horses, where a signal is made for the boat. Heretofore, passengers crossing this ferry were obliged to stand exposed to the inclemency of the weather
29 September 1820.
Page created April 2008