Other St Minver Churches (Dissenting)
Meeting Houses of Dissenters
Quakers' Meeting House
About the end of the seventeenth century there was a considerable number of Quakers in this parish, and they established near Treglines a Meeting House with a small burial ground annexed. The burials here were recorded in the parish register. The first entry was in 1695, and we find twenty-eight such burials between that date and 1742, about two thirds of the interments being those of women. Both the Meeting house and the burial ground had ceased to be used before the present century as the sect had become extinct in the parish. No trace of the building can now be found, but the burial ground, which is partially enclosed by a wall, yet remains. It is planted with trees now of about thirty years' growth. The wall is much decayed but the place is to some extent attended to at the expense of some members of the Society.
The tide of of modern dissent did not set in in in this parish so early as in many others, nor does it appear to have taken so strong a hold upon the people. The Rev. William Sandys, then vicar, writing to Lysons in 1812, says "At the present time there is no dissenter of any denomination in my parish. There are some Methodists indeed, among the lowest class, who attend the Church Service, but the itinerary preachers, called 'roundmen' have for some time made their appearance, but have not been able to form a society or collect subscriptions. The parish, however, did not long enjoy this immunity, for in 1815 a small Meeting House was erected at Tredrizzick, presently to be noticed, an on 14th March 1821 upon the application of William Beiley, described as of Jacobstow, a house in the occupation of William Chelew at Rosewin was registered in the Court of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall as a place of meeting for Brianites. and on 10th March1826, upon the application of Charles Hall, a barn belonging to William Blake at Tregenna was registered in the same Court as place of meeting for Protestant Dissenters, the particular denomination not being stated. (Maclean's Parochial and Family History, 1879 page 11)
Wesleyan Methodist Free Church, Tredrissick
A Meeting House for Wesleyan Methodists was erected at Tredrizzick in 1815 and was enlarged in 1835. It was vested in trustees but the trust deed was not inrolled, consequently when the schism took place in the Wesleyan body, the trustees, who took part with the seceding party, carried the building with them to the Wesleyan Methodist Association. By deed dated 98 May 1854 Simon Wilcock of St Minver, Yeoman, in consideration of the sum of !20, conveyed to Charles Ivey of the same parish, Cordwainer, and others, a piece of land in a field called Chapel Meadow at Tredrizzick, containing 30ft by 24ft, on which piece of land, it is stated, "the western end of the Methodist Association Chapel has been erected," to hold to the uses of the trusts expressed in the model deed, dated 27th January 1842, of the people called the Wesleyan Methodist Association. This acquisition would appear to have been for the purpose of extending the building Whether or not any addition was them made to it we cannot say, but it was entirely rebuilt in 1874 and will now seat 250 persons. There are 48 registered members and 60 Sunday School scholars. (Maclean's Parochial and Family History, 1879 page 12)
Wesleyan Methodists, Rock
By Indenture, dated 3 May 1842 and inrolled in Chancery, Digory Gray of Endellion, Yeoman, conveyed to Henry Vercoe of Egloshayle, Yeoman and others, a piece of land containing four yards, or thereabouts being part of a field called Cross Park, adjoining the road leading to Rock, wherein a Meeting House, or Chapel, was intended to be built, the said field being part of the customary lands of the manor of Penmayne, to hold to the said Henry Vercoe, and others for the term of 500 years, upon the usual trust of the people called Methodist, at the annual rent of fourpence per annum.
This building is situate at a place called Stop-a-tide near Rock and seats 132 persons and there are 14 members of the society now (1875) attached to it. (Maclean's Parochial and Family History, 1879 page 12)
Text reads "This stone was laid for the Sunday School by Miss E Mably."
"This stone was laid for the Congregation by Mr A Beswetherick"
"This stone was laid by Samuel Symons in memory of his beloved wife."
Page created April 2011